The SCRA, a statute aimed at easing financial hardships for military members, has significantly impacted credit card usage, fees, and interest rates. The Military Lending Act (MLA) regulates the limitations of fees and interest rates on debt incurred by active military members, their spouses, domestic partners, and child dependents. American Express, a credit card company, offers the Platinum card, a value-added card, which offers free privileges worth hundreds or thousands of dollars to active military personnel. However, there are restrictions and enrolment requirements. To maximize the benefits of an American Express Platinum card for active-duty military personnel, it is recommended to review the credit score requirements before applying.
Amex Platinum Card Synopsis
The best option for travellers is the American Express Platinum Card because it gives upscale travel features like lounge access, statement credits, and free elite status.
Why We Love the Amex Platinum for Active-Duty Military Members?
The Amex Platinum delivers outstanding value for active-duty military personnel and is one of the top credit cards available. This card has many advantages for military members, such as free access to airport lounges, exclusive hotel status, and perks for vehicle rentals. Additionally, it offers a sizable welcome bonus, a waiver of the exorbitant yearly fees, and statement credits for incidental travel expenses.
The Value of the Amex Platinum Card’s Benefits for Active Military
- Welcome Bonus Offer: Amex offers a variety of welcome bonuses, each worth at least one cent per point. These points can be redeemed for travel worth at least $600. Transferring Membership Rewards to Amex airline partners can provide additional value, but redemptions must include at least one centre per point.
- Waived Annual Fee: As a token of appreciation, Amex waives the $695 yearly fee for active military personnel, their spouses, domestic partners, and children who are dependents. Amex will also exclude active-duty service members from late and returned payment fees, over-limit fees, and statement copy request costs in addition to the yearly fee.
- Worldwide Airport Lounge Access: Access to more than 1,400 lounges across the world is available to Delta and Amex Platinum cards, giving travellers—including active military personnel—a comfortable place to stopover. The Amex Centurion Lounge, Delta Sky Club Lounges, Escape Lounges, Plaza Premium Lounges, Priority Pass Select, Select Lufthansa Lounges, and Select Virgin Clubhouse Lounges are all accessible to guests without charge. Cardholders must make 14 trips to these lounges annually, costing them a total of $700.
- Authorized Users: Amex Platinum cardholders are exempt from the $195 authorised user fee, providing complete family access to airport lounges. This makes accessing airport lounges simple.
- Hotel Elite Status: Hilton Honours Gold elite membership and Marriott Bonvoy Gold elite status are both available with the Amex Platinum card, offering immediate value for elite status. In accordance with the number of times a guest stays at the hotel-branded facility, this level entitles them to benefits like improved rooms, late checkout, complimentary Wi-Fi, and extra earnings.
- Car Rental Benefits and Elite Status: The National Emerald Club Executive, Avis Preferred Plus, and Hertz President’s Circle statuses, which offer vehicle upgrades, discounted rates, return time grace periods, and no second driver costs, are complimentary to Amex Platinum cardholders.
- Airline Incidental Credits – Use your airline credit to pay for baggage fees, seat upgrades, and other airline-related expenses to earn up to $200 in statement credits each year.
- Entertainment Streaming, Equinox, Walmart+ Credit – Receive $30 in yearly back on the Equinox+ app, $20 in monthly statement credits for Equinox streaming services, and $12.95 per month towards a Walmart+ subscription, which includes free shipping and lower petrol pricing, upon enrollment.
- Other Benefits – Additional benefits include up to $200 Prepaid Hotel Credit, Global Entry or TSA PreCheck Credit once every 4 years for Global Entry or 4.5 years for TSA PreCheck, Uber Cash offers up to $200 year, up to $15 per month, and a $20 incentive in December, $300 in statement credits for SoulCycle bikes, up to $189 annual CLEAR Plus Credit, The Hotel Collection and Fine Hotels & Resorts hotel credit of up to $100, Car Rental Loss and Damage Insurance, and Amex Auto Purchasing Privilege. Also, Receive a $50 credit at Saks Fifth Avenue once or twice a year between January – June, and another $50 between July-December.
Qualification and Requesting Benefits
After achieving minimal spending standards within the first 3 months of card approval, the Amex Platinum card delivers a welcome bonus. Online registration is essential to obtain benefits such as Priority Pass Select membership, car rental privileges, and hotel elite status. Sign in to your Amex Platinum card account and navigate to the Benefits area to get started.
- Individuals serving in active duty of the U.S. military (any branch)
- Reserves activated for service
- A National Guard member who has served 30+ days in a row on active duty
- NOAA or Public Health Service Commissioned Officer
- Serving in a conflict or military operation with American allies
- According to 38 USC 101(4), a spouse or child of an active-duty member of the armed forces
How to Apply as a Military Member?
Using the link in the card snapshot, it is simple to apply for the Amex Platinum card. Input your social security number, income, date of birth, address, and military ID. By selecting Military Income Source, American Express will check the DoD database against your social security number. Perks will be automatically implemented, but following card acceptance, you may request them.
How To Request Benefits on an Existing Card?
If you want to take advantage of SCRA perks, such as the free annual Amex Platinum card, log into your account online and choose Account Services. After responding to questions, select Credit Management and SCRA Benefits and upload the necessary documents. Also, you can –
- Phone Calls at 800-253-1720 (from the U.S.) & 336-393-1111 (from outside of the U.S.)
- Fax the vital documents with Amex account numbers to 623-444-3000
- Mail documents with your Amex account numbers – Service members Civil Relief Act, P.O. Box 981535, El Paso, TX 79998-1535
Other Recommended Amex Cards for Active Military
- The Business Platinum Card – This card provides active military advantages such as 5x earnings on prepaid hotels and flights, 1.5x earnings on qualified purchases, and up to $200 in airline incidental fees each year. Active military personnel can also receive up to $400 in Dell Technology purchase statement credit, $100 in Global Entry or TSA PreCheck credit, and elite status in hotel and auto rental programs. For small firms, the card also removes the yearly cost.
- Amex Gold Card – This card provides 4x profits on everyday purchases, 3x earnings on flights, and a monthly meal credit of up to $10. The American Express Gold card has no annual fee, making it ideal for active military spending habits. Examine the card’s features and decide if it fits your spending patterns.
- Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card – This card provides hotel elite rank, allows you to 14x earnings at Hilton locations, a yearly free hotel stay certificate, a $250 resort credit, a $200 airline incidentals statement credit, and Priority Pass Select membership for access to airport lounges worldwide.
- Delta SkyMiles Reserve Amex Card – The benefits of this card include Delta Sky Club admittance, a free companion ticket each year, a free checked bag, priority boarding, a 20% statement credit, 3x earning potential, Medallion elite qualification miles, and a remission of the yearly cost for active duty service members.
- Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant Amex Card – This Card offers The Marriott Bonvoy Platinum elite level, 6x earnings at Marriott properties, 3x earnings in US restaurants, and a remission of the yearly fee.